Friday, June 10, 2011

Rev. Gillespie passes at 80

I knew Rev. Gillespie when I lived in St. Louis. He made my grandparents' church my church with his kindness & openness. He was to me my most admired clergy.

RIP, Dr. Gillespie

Brian

http://m.stlamerican.com/mobile/news/local_news/article_eac4418e-922a-11e0-b776-001cc4c03286.html

"Dr. Gillespie was at the forefront of every serious civil rights and human rights issue that occurred in St. Louis during his 50-year tenure," said Virvus Jones, former comptroller and veteran political leader. "If you want to come up with a prototype of the person devoted to ministry and the healing of people, in terms of what a minister is supposed to be, he was the guy." "Rev. Gillespie was one of St. Louis' most respected, admired and impactful civic and religious leaders," said Donald M. Suggs, publisher of The St. Louis American. "His legacy of service and social concern will be enduring and continue to benefit many in our community and beyond for many years into the future."

Posted via email from Brian's posterous

No comments: