Friday, February 12, 2010

Police encounter- If this can happen to Pat Hill, imagine what would happen with your child or you

February 11, 2009 

This evening, at the conclusion of WVON radio’s special screening at the ICE Theater at 210 W. 87th Street, I incurred an extremely distressing encounter with an on-duty Chicago police officer.

As I was walking to my vehicle, while talking with a friend who is currently a Chicago police officer, Officer Heard, driving a marked police vehicle with beat tag number “652” crossed our paths. The off duty officer had a brief conversation with Officer Heard and went on her way. As I was standing there, I noticed Officer Heard had a parking citation book next to him. Since we were in the parking lot of the ICE Theater, I thought he might possibly be writing tickets on vehicles parked in the lot. 

In a very inquisitive manner, I asked Officer Heard if in fact that’s what he was doing. He replied yes. I asked him had he been called and why?  He said he was writing tickets to enforce the law and had not been called. I asked him didn’t he think that was rather “pimpy” and went on to point out to him that he was engaging in a form of harassment? I asked him didn’t he think his behavior was rather exploitative of people who came out to attend a special event in the community and that many of the people there were senior citizens? I also pointed out that maybe they were more financially able to attend this special event than update their plate? And if you wanted to write citizens for expired plates, why not stop them while driving their vehicle rather in a parking lot with no one in the vehicle? Why not an announcement in the theater to warn people they would be ticketed? His reply was “I got to get mine”. I asked him what did that mean. He said he’s got to do his job by enforcing the law.  I pointed out that I know he practices discretion when he sees fit and doesn’t always obey the law. I cited the example of talking on his cell phone while operating not just a motor vehicle but a police vehicle. He admitted that he does engage in that practice but he further stated that if he gets caught, he’ll just have to pay the consequences. I also asked him if so-called crimes are enforced equitably, such as crimes against persons vs. non-compliance citations i.e. expired license plates. I asked him did he take pride in over-burdening people with citations that allegedly generate revenue that the people don’t seem to receive benefit.  But instead, too often in this city, helps corrupt city officials?

The conversation continued and the more we engaged one another, it became blatantly obvious to me that Officer Heard, a nine year veteran (he stated), has absolutely no connection with the community he works and probably lives in. Actually, at one point in the conversation, I reminded him that these were his people and that he didn’t appear to understand his obligation to them. I reminded him of an allegiance that other officers of other ethnic groups seemed to have to the people in their communities. We both agreed and he said he doesn’t care what they do. He’s not in those communities. He emphatically stated to me that these were not his people. They were law breakers.

At that point, I must admit, I felt betrayed, then angry. I thought of all of the Black men and women who had paved the way so this stupid, a-historical, fool, could sit in a Chicago Police Department beat car, in the sixth police district, making five figures, so he could bear contempt for some of the very people who made it possible for him to live this dream.

And I began to tell him so. I told him about Renault Robinson and the Afro-American Patrolman’s League. Of course, he didn’t know anything about that. Neither did he care. It was at this point he began to drive away, all the while stating, “Where is your vehicle”, so I can write you a ticket”?

I returned to the theater to ask management of the theater had they been having a problem with patrons being written tickets while parked in the movie parking lot? She told me yes. She even stated that they attend CAPS(Chicago Alternative Policing Strategy) meetings and had brought this matter up. I told her to make the record by contacting IPRA (Independent Police Review Authority). I called and filed a report as well.  I then went into the theater where the radio station personalities were conducting a question and answer of the movie that was just viewed. At which time, I was permitted to make an announcement about vehicles being ticketed in the lot. Subsequently, I left.

If Officer Heard is representative of the quality of human being that is dominant on the police force in Chicago, then increased police-community confrontation is inevitable. If the mindset that Officer Heard possesses resulting in the behavior he executes, is encouraged by the administration of the Chicago Police Department, then no longer can this be called a democratic and open society. It is a closed society, bordering on fascism. Ironically, Officer Heard doesn’t have a clue as to what he is perpetrating. He is an African American male with some semblance of authority who hates African American people. He is the Black officer in the movie “Boys in the Hood”, who was more brutal to Black people than the white officer.

The Chicago Police Department is a public entity and every component of it should come under public scrutiny. That means its’ personnel, especially. Just as the “broken windows” theory in community-oriented policing focuses on small crimes before they develop into more serious crime, the community should implement its’ own “broken windows” concept.

Whenever it comes to the attention of the community that an officer has disrespected the community, even in a small way, his/her behavior must be addressed before it develops into to a greater level of disrespect. Abuse leads to brutality. Brutality leads to torture. Torture leads to murder.

Officer Heard does not deserve the right to work a beat where he has the privilege of serving and protecting his community. He should be removed from that responsibility. If the Fraternal of Police wishes to fight on his behalf, so be it but we are insisting that the District Commander of the 6th (Gresham) District act on this matter. Further, we are encouraging all of those who receive this correspondence or hear of this incident to contact the District Commander and tell him that the community deserves better than Officer Heard and they expect to get it.  

                              Patricia L.Hill – Executive Director, African      American Police League  (773) 330-6960

Cc;  Everett Johnson, Commander-6th District 

      Tina Skahill, Chief-CAPS, Chicago Police Department

      Attorney Lawrence Kennon

      Attorney Standish Willis

      Management, ICE Theater

      WVON Radio

Posted via email from Brian's posterous

No comments: