Saturday, December 26, 2009

'Obamanos!': One Year Into Obama's Presidency : NPR

Listening to Henrik Hertzberg, author of Obamanos: The Birth of a New Political Era on CSPAN has helped me resolve my New Years political resolution is going be to focus more on political reforms our political system needs rather than getting caught up in assessing whether I am inspired or disappointed in politicians. I am disappointed in the so-called health reform; but recognize it is a historical step forward that still requires work. My main interest in 2010 is engaging more of the disadvantaged and those left out of the American political and economic systems, in putting forth their own best solutions.

Excerpt from recent NPR Hertzberg interview:

"Rick, when do people who supported Obama, liked Obama, when do they go from hope to disappointment? How long do you have to be in office for that transformation to happen?

Mr. HERTZBERG: Well, judging from the way a lot of people are reacting already, I guess one year would be about the right quantity of time. I don't think they should go from hope to disappointment in that way. I think that it reflects some of the weirdnesses of our political system, that people do end up disappointed in a performance which I think has been, on balance, a very fine performance by Obama as president."

Link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120093233 (sent via Shareaholic)

Posted via email from Brian's posterous

No comments: